Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Home from Africa

Greetings,

I’m home and just about caught up with my sleep. It was a great trip and amazing in every way.

First, the logistics of the trip were interesting. I was the only staff member as we left San Diego and flew into Washington DC to meet the rest of our team. Nadine, the Church Planting Coordinator, was to meet us there. Her plane was delayed and it looked like she would miss the connection, meaning I would be the leader all the way to Addis Ababa. Fortunately, she showed up just as our plane was boarding. So started a loooooong flight to Addis. We met our leader, Al Wilson, there; spent the night and were treated to a typical Ethiopian dinner. Strange food and strange eating style (no utensils and eat with only right hands). Saturday we drove 6 hours south to Hawassa where our work would take place.

On Sunday I preached in a Guannet church. This was the denomination we were working with. On Monday we went out to four different areas and shared the gospel from house to house. It was a Muslim area and some interesting conversations ensued. One of our team was even invited into a Mosque. On Tuesday I moved to another area of ministry. Joseph Menna, our contact in Ethiopia, invited me to go with him to another town to teach about 100 leaders from other denominations in preparation for future church planting. For the next three days I taught Walk Thru the Bible, the Great commission and the fundamentals of Church. God prepared a way for me to have an impact in a totally unexpected ministry.

When the week’s work was totaled up we found that we had shared the gospel with over 4000 individuals and seen over 400 positive responses to the gospel. These new babes in Christ were turned over to the leaders of the Guannet churches for follow up. Another factor in all this is that many of these responses are Muslim and many more Muslims heard the gospel and are now considering the claims of Issa. Our prayer is that they will continue to explore the ideas presented by our team members.

At the end of our work we celebrated and went into Kenya for a couple of days of unwinding. For me that was a two fold blessing. First, I got to spend an afternoon and evening with Brian Arensen and his family. It was a great time talking about missions, ministry in Africa and the challenges of missionary life. Second, I was able to photograph some of Africa’s wonderful animals.

Now what? To be honest, I don’t know. Joseph invited me back to Ethiopia and that would be truly enjoyable but that is all up to God. There is a great ministry going on there and I was greatly impressed with Joseph’s ministry plan. He is working to multiply every dollar, every effort, every ministry that comes his way. Ministry in Ethiopia is really exciting. Who knows, I may be back inviting you to go with me to Ethiopia in ’09.

For now it is a Walk Thru in Carlsbad and pulpit supply in Santee. Looking ahead there is a huge celebration on the horizon at the end of August when Janiece and I celebrate our 50th.

Thanks for loving us and for your support. I haven’t sorted all my photos yet, so I’ll put together some that will show the story in the next couple of weeks.

Still serving,

Sam

No comments: