Monday, August 4, 2008

Ministry in Pasadena



Out of a Perspectives Class I taught last year came an opportunity to speak in the Missions Month of the Community Church on Holliston in Pasadena, CA. This church is a combination of three churches led by Pastor Sam Park. There is a Korean speaking congregation, an English speaking Korean congregation and a traditional congregation. The traditional congregation and the Korean congregations merged a while back to form this mosaic congregation. Obviously, I spoke only to the English speaking congregation. I was totally impressed with their approach to ministry and to missions. They have a solid approach to world outreach and an eagerness to reach into and beyond their own community.

This is the kind of church that would benefit greatly from the ministry of E3 Partners.

There was one frustration of the weekend. We arrived on Saturday afternoon and stayed in the Pasadena Hilton Hotel. This is a first class hotel and the room was very good. However, when I logged onto the internet there was a charge. When I called the desk they told me it would be $9.00 per day for internet access. When I asked why, I was told it was because Hilton is a “full service” hotel. This puzzles me. I thought “full service” meant every service would be provided by the hotel. Evidently it means every service provided by the hotel will have a fee charged to it. I think this sucks.

I am currently sitting in the waiting lounge of Toyota of El Cajon and using their free Wi-Fi. I can go to any Panera Restaurant and use their free Wi-Fi. I have not done much research but I bet I could go to 100 places and find the same thing. I guess they are not “full service.”

No comments: